SUMMARY: Sun-raster ftp sites

Mike Smithwick mike at ames.arc.nasa.gov
Wed May 2 05:43:03 AEST 1990

In article <7210 at brazos.Rice.edu> lindy!romeo at lindy.stanford.edu (Patrick Goebel) writes:
<
<After all this, I was told (and later verified myself) that sunview will
<not display color backgrounds using the -background option (all you get is
<the default pattern.)  Needless to say I was very disappointed since I
<figured half the fun of having a GX 8-bit interface would be to stare at
<exotic living-color backgrounds while pondering my next keystrokes.
<
<So the questions remains:  Does anyone out there have a trick for
<displaying color background images under sunview?

I recently hacked up sunview.c to display 8-bit deep backgrounds. The only
problem is that you have to be careful with the colors you select for your
windows.

The mod is fairly easy, taking me about 30 minutes. The main trick is to
allocate an 8-bit deep mempixrect, instead of 1. Then you will want to add
some lines to handle the colormap. So track down someone with some pixrect
experience and let them at it. Then get a that picture of "Lisa" that's
been floating around. . . .

                                                      *** mike smithwick ***
"This is a tale of sex, lies and junkfood" - Twin Peaks

[disclaimer : nope, I don't work for NASA, I take full blame for my ideas]