Running C-shell scripts from 'foreign' file systems.

wjw at eb.ele.tue.nl wjw at eb.ele.tue.nl
Thu May 3 21:42:03 AEST 1990

Only recently I've run into some problems with executing C-shell script,
when they are not on the 'local' system. ( A apollo distributed filesystem
is considered local in this. )

Example 1: We have 1 SUN which has an NFS-connection to a DN4000,SR97
system.  Now if i want to execute a script in an NFS-directory if fails
without commenting on any reason as to why. Executing the script from a
directory which is on the local disk works perfectly.  Also executing the
script when it is on the local disk, but your current directory is on an
NFS-disk, fails.

Example 2: This one is even more bizarre. Apollo has type files, and on an
SR97 version system ascii files have the type uasc. On an SR10 system
normal ascii files are 'unstruct'. If one now imports an script of the
type 'unstruct', then the C-shell refuses to execute that script.

Has any one seen this behaviour before? My opinion is that it's somewhere
in the C-shell code, since none but SUN and Apollo act this strangely.

	Willem Jan Withagen

Eindhoven University of Technology  DomainName:  wjw at eb.ele.tue.nl
Digital Systems Group               BITNET: ELEBWJ at HEITUE5.BITNET
room EH 10.10
P.O. 513                            Tel: +31-40-473401
5600 MB Eindhoven                   The Netherlands