What do people use for dialup modems

don at doug.med.utah.edu don at doug.med.utah.edu
Fri May 4 00:05:40 AEST 1990

>Up until now, I've been using Multi-tech mt224eh MNP-5 modems for dialup.
>I also send them home with people. I've had mixed satisfaction.  Is there
>an MNP 5 or greater modem that someone out there has had a glowing success
>with? Has anyone succeeded in using a telebit or other V.32 class modem to
>accept dialins from old 1200/2400 baud, MNP-4/5, and also V.32 modems?

We have a fair amount of success with the USRobotics Courier HST modem.
It took a little bit if internal modem configuration trial and error, but
as of late everyone is happy.  We dial both in and out at 1200, 2400 and
to its matching partner at 9600 baud over normal lines.

The only complaint that I have is when we are using kermit at 9600 the
effective throughput is a dismal 1200 baud.  Apprently it has somethig to
do with the short packet length of a kermit packet and the modem trying to
do data compression/error correction along with kermit.  Tip and other
plain ascii programs (xtalk on the PC) work great and its sometimes hard
to relize that you are talking over a modem.

Don Baune                      Internet: don at doug.med.utah.edu
University of Utah
Medical Imaging Research Lab
AC-215  School  of  Medicine       talk:        (801) 581-6088
Salt Lake City, Utah   84132        FAX:        (801) 581-2414