Accessing disk info

Sean Coleman 303-497-5672 coleman at gamma.bldrdoc.gov
Wed May 9 11:34:29 AEST 1990

I am writing a program to automatically dump my system to tape. I want
this program to go out to the controller and find all the disks that are
hooked up to the controller without intervention from the user.  The
feature I am looking for is similiar to the one used by format when it
firsts starts up. I have looked for system calls and library functions to
perform this task but have been unsucessful.

1. Is there a ioctl call that can be made to the controller to get this
   info? If so, what is the device that needs to be opened in order to pass
   it to the ioctl call.  If there is no ioctl that will do it, The Sun
   people tell me this is a device driver problem, how can I use the tools
   given to me by the device drivers to grab the info about the disk.

2. Once I know the disks that I am looking for, I need to get the
   partition table, (similar to the results of dkinfo) Again, is there a
   ioctl call for this and if so, what device do you send it and if not, how
   can I get this information?

coleman at bldrdoc.gov