LANCE/ethernet problem.

Glenn Herteg iapsd!hopi!glenn at uunet.uu.net
Wed May 30 18:46:54 AEST 1990

We also receive the

	vmunix: le0: Received packet with ENP bit in rmd cleared
	vmunix: le0: Received packet with STP bit in rmd cleared

messages periodically.  They almost always come as three pairs together.
I've never tracked them down, but it might be difficult to even try -- our
network has both Suns (3/50s and 3/60s, 4.0.1 and 4.0.3) and PCs talking
totally different protocols on the same (thinnet) wire, with repeaters
connecting many, many segments into a gigantic octopus.

Looking back over my /var/adm/messages files from the last month, I see
the times at which these messages occur as follows:

	May  1 17:37:57 (Tuesday)
	May  3 19:15:47 (Thursday)
	May  7 17:07:18 (Monday)
	May  8 18:57:45 (Tuesday)
	May 10 17:07:57 (Thursday)
	May 14 17:16:38 (Monday)
	May 15 17:21:09 (Tuesday)
	May 17 18:20:30 (Thursday)
	May 24 18:21:19 (Thursday)

The timing of these events suggests to me a common end-of-day phenomenon:
perhaps one of our PC users is turning off the power, and the machine
squelches as it dies.  I have no proof of this, but it might be worth
checking out.  Or perhaps it is due to noise as someone opens a segment
momentarily to install or deinstall equipment.  Just why Monday, Tuesday,
and Thursday should be favorite days, almost on a regular basis, I don't
know.