Gigastore Tape System for Sun-3

Lisa Hamet hamet at chrpserv.gsfc.nasa.gov
Fri May 4 23:46:00 AEST 1990

I am interested in purchasing a Gigastore tape system for my network of
Suns.  This is the tape drive that stores 5.4 Gigabytes on a VCR tape.
The salesman says that performance is about equal to an 8mm tape drive.
I'd like to get this because it holds twice as much as an 8mm tape, and
the tapes are much cheaper.  Does anybody have experience with this?  The
drive will be connected to a Sun 3/180 server running SunOS 4.0.3.  Does
it work okay under 4.1?  (I hope to upgrade soon.)  Also, it will need to
be used as a remote tape for other Sun's on the network.  Any problems
with this?

All comments are welcome.  Thanks for your help.

			--Lisa Hamet
			  hamet at chrpserv.gsfc.nasa.gov