Exabyte + Ubackup users?

harvard!cfisun!rich at cs.utexas.edu harvard!cfisun!rich at cs.utexas.edu
Tue May 1 06:24:14 AEST 1990

I am looking for Sun sites that are using Exabyte 8mm tape drives in
conjunction with Unitech's Ubackup software to backup their network.  I
would like to know how the tape units work with Ubackup:  How much data do
you actually get on a cartridge?  What is the effective transfer rate for
your backups?  Is there a significant difference in transfer rate between
local disk files and NFS mounted files?  What machine(s) are the Exabyte
units connected to?  Are you having any problems accessing
(reading/restoring) the tapes?  What is the minimum and maximum time for
finding and restoring a file off a backup tape?  Any other relevant
comments before we purchase one or two Exabytes?

[I am less (but somewhat) interested in experience with Unitech's Unet
product, mostly because of the large additional cost.  We already have
Ubackup and are quite satisfied with it.  I can't see the need to spend
another $10k for Unet, but I am willing to be persuaded.]

FYI: We are running 4.0.3 on all 15 of our Sun 3s (1 180, 1 280, 5 160s, 2
110s, 2 60s, 4 50s), and plan on hooking up the Exabyte drives to the two
3/60s.

Rich Baughman		  rich at cfi.com OR ima!cfisun!rich
Price Waterhouse          Waltham, MA  617-899-6500