Some OpenWindows Questions

Hayden Schultz haydens%bullwinkle at juliet.ll.mit.edu
Wed Sep 19 03:01:56 AEST 1990

I've just installed OpenWindows 2.0 on our sparcstations (on 4.0.3). I
haven't installed the GFX patch yet, but it still seems to be quite an
improvement.  I do have a few questions that I haven't been able to figure
out.

1) Tools that I use a lot, like mailtool, I like to use the pin on several
of the menus to keep them up. Is there any way to save the configuration
of pinned menus (I'd like to save their location reletive to other
application windows also) so the application will start up in the
configuration I like?

2) OpenWindows scrollbars are kind of a pain. I liked the mouse buttons
performing the "here to top" and "top to here" functions the way they did
in Sunview. But the only way I know how to do that in OpenWindows is to
traverse a menu. I find this to be too much effort, especially considering
how often one wants to scroll up and down. Is there any way to bind the
"here to top" and "top to here" functions to mouse buttons or keys?

What I'd really like is the ability to replace textedit with emacs, but
that's probably too much to expect.

3) Does WMEXIT really work properly? When I use it from a workspace menu
item, yes it does kill olwm, but it also kills the X server.

	Thanks,

		Hayden Schultz
		MIT Lincoln Labs
		haydens at juliet.ll.mit.edu