Sun maintenance contracts

Greg Oliveau oliveau at cs.ucla.edu
Sat Sep 1 10:33:48 AEST 1990

My organization is buying a couple of Suns (SLC's) and a 669 MB drive with
a 150MB tape.  We are also purchasing the distribution SunOs w/ Open
Windows.  I am wondering if the $170/mo hardware maintenance and $220/mo
software maintenance fees are really worth it.  This seems like a awful
lot of money, especially for the software.  I know we get free updates w/
the maintenance contract, but I don't think this is worth $2640 a year to
receive OS updates!  I've also heard that Suns are very reliable - if this
is true, maybe I don't need to spend $170/mo on hardware, and take the
risk.

E-mail responses are preferred.  If there is enough interest, I will post
a summary.  Thanks in advance,

Greg.