RCS and Sun's make

Scott Weitzenkamp talarian!scott at uunet.uu.net
Fri Sep 21 10:00:37 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug23.225824.10951 at rice.edu>, dcall at amadeus.wr.tek.com (Dale Call) writes:
> Has anyone figured out a way to get Sun's make to understand RCS?  We are
> currently using a custom in-house version of make but would like to get
> access to the advanced features in Sun's make.  GNU make would work except
> it doesn't work with Saber C {Saber depends on a nasty "feature" of
> standard make, that comment lines start with a '#' char in the first
> column, action lines that start with a '#' not in the first character
> (there is a leading tab) are output as error messages that Saber
> interprets.  GNU make does it right (treats any line with whitespace
> followed by # as a comment), but for us it is wrong *sigh*}.

We use Saber C and GNU make here at Talarian.  What we did was to use "!"
as Saber's make symbol.  The relevant entry from the makefile might look
like (our makefiles are generated by imake):

saber_ie:
	!load $(CFLAGS) $(SOURCES) $(LDFLAGS) $(LINK_LIBS) $(SYS_LIBS)

osaber_ie:
	!load $(CFLAGS) $(OBJECTS) $(LDFLAGS) $(LINK_LIBS) $(SY_LIBS)

I then put the following in my $HOME/.saberinit (although I believe this
could be put in a system-wide initialization file):

setopt make_symbol !

  Hope this helps.

Scott Weitzenkamp
Sr. Software Engineer