csh is slow under SunOS 4.1

Nick Sayer mrapple at quack.sac.ca.us
Mon Sep 17 02:22:01 AEST 1990

We've just installed SunOS 4.1 on our Sun 3 system here at uop.edu.  I'm
noticing some strange behavior. When I run a command in our local binary
directory, it takes a long time for it to start. Looking at the process
during this wait (i.e. start a process in the background, then look at it
with ps) tells me that it's not the program itself, it's the shell after
the fork, but before the program starts. It doesn't happen all the time,
nor can I find a pattern. It is more likely to happen near the begining of
a login session. The local bin directory is mounted via NFS from a SunOS
4.0.3 machine (it will go 4.1 "soon"), but looking at files on that
machine is no slower than usual.

I realize this post doesn't have much in the way of substantive
information, and for that I apologize. If nobody else has noticed any such
trouble with 4.1, I'll simply ignore it and chalk it up to a new OS. If,
however, this has been noticed and fixed (or not), I'd appreciate any
info. Thanks in advance.

Sure wish I could get 4.1 for my Sun 2 at home. HDB uucp alone is worth
the cost of admission!

Nick Sayer               |  Disclaimer:
N6QQQ                    |    "Just because you're reading my post doesn't
mrapple at quack.sac.ca.us  |     mean we're gonna take long showers together."
209-952-5347 (Telebit)   |                      -- Gunnery Sgt. Thomas Highway