Help me install floating point chip.

Howard Hart amdahl!ntmtv!howard at apple.com
Thu Sep 13 04:05:32 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug5.165631.11842 at rice.edu> you write:

>We want to add floating point chips to our SUN 3/50s.  We got the chips
>and plugged one in.  Everything seemed fine but after a few minutes we got
>a bus error, a core dump and a reboot.

I added a MC68881 coprocessor chip to a Sun 3/50 some months ago without
any problems. Are you sure you got the right chip? I believe the part
number had an RB in it, and the chip had to be rated at 16 MHZ. (Sorry I
don't have the details, I'm working for another company now). The place I
got it from was Wyse Technology in Sunnyvale. You could also check that
the chips seated correctly, and that its oriented in the right direction.

Howard Hart	       UUCP:{ames,pyramid!amdahl,hplabs}!ntmtv!nmtvs249!howard
System Administrator   INTERNET: ntmtv!howard at ames.arc.nasa.gov
Northern Telecom       PHONE: (415) 940-2680
Mt. View, CA