Getting NeWSprint to produce useful accounting data

Dan Ehrlich ehrlich at cs.psu.edu
Thu Apr 18 07:14:13 AEST 1991

Well I finallly got my Versatec 8924 color electrostatic to spit out the
demo tiger using NeWSprint.  Then I looked at the accounting file.
Gakkk!!  Did Sun fall asleep?  Here is a sample entry:

	Printer vr-np
	Host colossus
	User ehrlich
	Job nparrot.ps
	Date Sun Apr 14 19:44:35 1991

Not terribly useful information if I need to charge back people for the
use of the plotter.  I really need to know how many 'pages' where printed.
Does anyone know how to get NeWSprint to produce a 'standard' (i.e. pac(8)
readable) accounting file?  Is there anyway to get a page count instead of
this junk?  Is there an engine parameter that holds the page count?

Looks like sun really dropped the ball on this one.  ANy help would be
appreciated.

Dan Ehrlich - Sr. Systems Programmer - Penn State Computer Science
<ehrlich at cs.psu.edu>/Voice: +1 814 863 1142/FAX: +1 814 865 3176