Request for info about imaging equipment for Suns

Stephen E. Reichenbach reich at ser.unl.edu
Sat Apr 20 07:30:00 AEST 1991

Two requests for information:

1) We are set to equip an imaging lab with Sun workstations and would
   appreciate any comments about others' experiences (interface, performance,
   cost, problems) or suggestions.  The equipment will include:

a) Camera, analog or digital output.  We will also need a frame grabber if
   we get analog (video) output.

b) Hardcopy, probably both a film recorder and printer.  Tenatively, we
   are leaning toward a color dye sublimation printer, but are not very
   knowledgable about the many imaging printer technologies.  We must have
   256 gray levels and would like 16.7M colors.

2) Matrix sells film writers for MACs with SCSI interface.  They provide a
   driver for the MAC, but not for other systems.  Has anyone else written a
   SCSI driver for Matrix cameras that they could provide us?  If not, would
   writing one be difficult for a non-systems person?

I will provide a summary of the responses to anyone who requests one.

Stephen E. Reichenbach
email: reich at fergvax.unl.edu