Sun shared library dependencies

Ken Hardy racerx!ken at uunet.uu.net
Thu Apr 18 07:14:13 AEST 1991

Is there a utility available (or programmable) that can tell which shared
libraries an application depends upon?  I'll program it myself if
necessary, given the requisite how-to information.

I recently had to lead a user through a simple command-line-oriented
utility over then phone, but it complained that libsuntool.so.0 was
missing.  The user had not loaded SunView since his plan was to use X
exclusively, and the application did not use SunView.  It had been
inadvertantly linked with "-lsuntool".  I had to re-link and air-express a
new copy of the utility.

This apparently was the first time that someone has had to run this on a
system where SunView had never been loaded.  The "file" command on Sun
386i's tells you what shared libraries an executable will expect to find
at runtime.  The Sparc version does not do this.  I need such a facility
to avoid these situations in the future, to be used in a validation step
while configuring releases of the software.  It is apparently not enough
to check that an executable runs as expected on a given system due to the
use of dynamicly linked modules.

Ken Hardy		uunet!racerx!ken		ken at racerx.UUCP