MIT Sun Sparc X server and keyboard indicators

Dominick Samperi ccorp!dsamperi at uunet.uu.net
Sat Apr 27 10:00:00 AEST 1991

The Sun Sparc X server that is included on the MIT X Windows tape does not
handle the keyboard indicator lights properly.  For example, pressing the
CAPS LOCK key does not cause the appropriate indicator light to be turned
on. The program mit/server/ddx/sun/kbd_mode can be used to enable the
indicator lights (by specifying the -a option), but this disables ALL keys
that do not have indicator lights! The -u option will reenable these keys,
but disable the indicator lights. (We are using Sparc 1+'s and Sparc 2's.)

We have applied all 18 of the standard MIT patches, but these do not
appear to address the problem. I guess the real problem is that the server
code from Sun is not supported, in particular, it has not been modified to
deal with the newer Sparc keyboards.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? Thanks in advance.

Dominick Samperi -- Citicorp
dsamperi at Citicorp.COM
uunet!ccorp!dsamperi