Freeing FIN_WAIT_2 socket

Rob Costantino rocket!robc at uunet.uu.net
Sat Feb 2 04:05:57 AEST 1991

Can anyone tell me how to free a socket stuck in the FIN_WAIT_2 (netstat)
state?

The problem is, I am connecting to a remote 68030 for software
integration.  The remote machine sometimes stops processing without
sending a shutdown or close on the socket.  I then shutdown and close my
end of the socket, leaving it in a FIN_WAIT_2 state for about 20 minutes
or until the sparc is rebooted.  I can't connect to the socket in this
state.

Thanks,
Rob Costantino, Lockheed Sanders, (603)885-7414
Please reply robc at rocket.sanders.com