Low Cost IPI-2 Drives?

Ken Mandelberg km at mathcs.emory.edu
Sat Feb 2 04:24:36 AEST 1991

The price of reasonably fast SCSI drives has really come down. 1.2GB
drives are well under $3K. However, the preferred drive interface on Sun's
490 servers is IPI-2, and on that platform the IPI driver and interface is
much higher in performance than Sun's SCSI.

So far, I haven't seen any IPI drives that compete in cost with the SCSI.
The Seagate 8" Saber drives which Sun uses cost twice as much as the low
cost 5.25" SCSI's. These Sabers come in IPI,SCSI, and SMD versions all of
which are expensive.

Has anyone seen any sign of lower cost IPI-2 drives that I missed? In
particular are there any 5.25" IPI-2 drives?

Ken Mandelberg      | km at mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED
Emory University    | {rutgers,gatech}!emory!km    UUCP
Dept of Math and CS | km at emory.bitnet              NON-DOMAIN BITNET
Atlanta, GA 30322   | Phone: Voice (404) 727-7963, FAX 727-5611