MTOOLS read/write fail with low density disks.

Andrew J Michael Andrew.Michael at brunel.ac.uk
Sat Feb 2 02:27:03 AEST 1991

In article <1459 at brchh104.bnr.ca>, john at nereid.jpl.nasa.gov (John Veregge) writes:
> I have MTOOLS version 1.6.2 (Jul 5 89) and it corrupts files when copying
> to/from low density (770 K) 3.5" floppy disks. It works fine with the high
> density 3.5" floppy disks (1.44 M). I have compiled this with/without the
> optimization and on both a Sparc 1 with OS 4.1.0 and an IPC with OS 4.1.1.

Is this actually a bug with mtools, or SunOS ?  I have a problem with
mtools on a 3/80 running 4.1.0.  Although it works fine with 1.44Mb disks,
on 720k it keeps producing "missing header" errors.  But then does
anything using 720k disks on the 3/80.  Sun says that this is a known bug,
but bearing in mind their priorities, your guess is as good as mine when
it will be fixed.

Just a thought ....

Andy Michael (eesrajm at cc.brunel.ac.uk)