/dev/audio permissions...

Robert L. Howard rhoward at msd.gatech.edu
Sat Feb 2 06:01:20 AEST 1991

I am interested in finding out how you can restrict writing to /dev/audio
(and thus use of play, soundtool, etc.).  It would be nice if permissions
were restricted to the user that is logged on to the console (under X, OW,
SunView...) so that you couldn't be bothered by some
{ignorant,inconsiderate,malicious} person telnetted in running 'play' or
doing a 'cat > /dev/audio.

Is this some configuration kind of thing or would I need to do something
like hack 'login'?  If a hack is required I would need some help as I
don't have source (not to mention questionable skill).

| Robert L. Howard             |    Georgia Tech Research Institute     |
| rhoward at msd.gatech.edu       |    MATD Laboratory                     |
| (404) 528-7165               |    Atlanta, Georgia  30332             |