Odd umask "feature" when using 'on'

Tim Chown T.J.Chown at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Feb 20 06:22:00 AEST 1991

The default umask on all machines we have in 026.  Here, I'm on one
machine (pessoa) and edit a new file on another machine (alonzo) via the
'on' command.  I also have 'umask 026' in my .cshrc.

The problem is tht editing via 'on' ignores the umask and generates a file
that's 666.  Both machines are SPARCs running SunOS4.0.3.

>       sra at pessoa[45] umask
>       026
>       sra at pessoa[46] lf -l Z
>       Z not found
>       sra at pessoa[47] on alonzo xterm -e vi Z
>               <here I edit the file and exit vi>
>       sra at pessoa[48] lf -l Z
>       -rw-rw-rw-  1 sra             6 Feb 12 15:27 Z

Any ideas what the problem is anyone ???

Tim