R/W/Erasable Mag-Optical disk interchange (DOS<>U

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g at Virginia.EDU
Wed Jan 16 05:34:55 AEST 1991

Can either (SUN) pcfs or mtools be used on a non-floppy medium:
specifically I want to be able to interchange erasable mag-optical disks
between PC's and SUN's. Has anyone done this ?

Also: I know of at least one vendor (Alphatronics) that sells software to
read/write/translate optical disks between systems. (It doesn't work
symmetrically: I think if you want to write data on Sun & read on PC, you
have to format/partition disk on PC, move to Sun and write data with
translation software, and then read it on PC - native mode. - I may not
have the direction correct, but the spirit is more or less the same.) Does
anyone know of any similar products, or perhaps one in which ALL systems
write data in a common/neutral/foreign(to-all) file system.

  Any other comments on media/file exchange are invited.
  ( sdm7g at virginia.edu )
  I will summarize & post any e-mail replies.