Xfig problems under OpenWindows

David O. Nelson daven at ruhig.llnl.gov
Sat Jan 19 09:27:02 AEST 1991

In article <1273 at brchh104.bnr.ca> Andy Simmons writes:
|> My group has migrated to OpenWindows in the last couple of months and
|> after using fig heavily under Sunview, compiled Xfig and tried to run it
|> under OpenWindows 2.0 on Sun3s, Sun4s and SparcStations.

	[problems with Xfig omitted]

I, too, had these problems, but only when my server was a COLOR server.
My guess is that you are only having problems on color servers as well.  I
traced the problem to some X_CopyArea calls from within a label display
widget from within the menu widget.  This seems to occur randomly.  Brian
insists that widgets should handle the translation from one-bit bitmaps to
whatever is needed automatically.  However, it doesn't happen for me.

My solution was to go and patch the code to create pixmaps from the bitmap
icons showing fonts.  Everything now works fine.

David O. Nelson
(daven at gauss.llnl.gov)