Xfig problems under OpenWindows

andrew simmons andys at mph.sm.ucl.ac.uk
Wed Jan 16 20:43:16 AEST 1991

My group has migrated to OpenWindows in the last couple of months and
after using fig heavily under Sunview, compiled Xfig and tried to run it
under OpenWindows 2.0 on Sun3s, Sun4s and SparcStations.

I have run into a problem, which according to the author is an OpenWindows
problem - Xfig apparently works fine on other machines.

	The problem is that Xfig can respond in three ways

(1) The xfig window appears and then the program exits. e.g.

> hyperion% xfig.sun4
> Initializing FIG v2.0 Protocol v2.0 (X11 patchlevel 9) ...
> X Error:  BadMatch
>   Request Major code 62 ()
>   Request Minor code 206
>   ResourceID 0x1400062
>   Error Serial #1625
>   Current Serial #1726

(2) The xfig window appears and gives the 'READY' message. I then choose
    fonts and the program crashes. However the program seems to work O.K.
    unless I choose the fonts button.

(3) The program works properly.

The author informs me that several people have reported at least the first
of these responses, which is an OpenWindows problem. Unfortunately he does
not have access to OpenWindows. Has anyone encountered this problem and
managed to fix it ?

Please reply by e-mail to me and I'll summarise to the net if there is
sufficient interest.

Thanks for any help,
                     Andy Simmons

JANET    : andys at uk.ac.ucl.sm.mph             Medical Physics, Shropshire House
INTERNET : andys at .mph.sm.ucl.ac.uk                University   College   London
BITNET   : andys%uk.ac.ucl.sm.mph at ukacrl.bitnet      Gower St,  WC1E 6JA,  U.K.