Problems with olwm

David Steffens eplunix!das at das.harvard.edu
Thu Jan 24 08:40:41 AEST 1991

In article <1067 at brchh104.bnr.ca>,
markh at squirrel.labs.tek.com (Mark C. Henderson) writes:
> In article <1060 at brchh104.bnr.ca>
> coleman at cam.nist.gov (Sean Sheridan Coleman X5672) writes:
>
> [[describes problem running a program under olwm]]
>
> -When I pressed the 'a' key, I was able to see that the
> -program never even knew a key was pressed.
>
> A solution is to patch states.c in the olwm source....
> A gross hack that would fix this would be to just always
> act as if cli->wmHints->input were always set to true.

I'll say it's gross.  The problem is _not_ in olwm...  it's in the X
applications which are not ICCCM compliant!  See the October issue of _The
Sun Software Technical Bulletin_ page 41 for details.  Another reference
is O'Reilly _X Toolkit Intrinsics Programming Manual_ (Volume 4), section
10.1.4.  Fix the broken applications, not olwm!

> Note that mwm explicitly ignores the input hint...

This doesn't speak well for OSF -- you'd think they of all people would be
pushing for ICCCM compliance, too!  Furthermore, it leads to a certain
amount of confusion.  On Athena, if mwm keyboard focus policy is set to
"pointer", then all applications receive keyboard focus when started.  If,
however, mwm keyboard focus policy is set to "explicit", i.e.
"click-to-type", and startupKeyFocus is True, then _only_ ICCCM-compliant
applications get key focus on startup!