Problems with olwm

Mark C. Henderson markh at squirrel.labs.tek.com
Sat Jan 5 11:36:12 AEST 1991

In article <1060 at brchh104.bnr.ca> coleman at cam.nist.gov (Sean Sheridan Coleman X5672) writes:

[[describes problem running a program under olwm]]

-When I pressed the 'a' key, I was able to see that the
-program never even knew a key was pressed.

A solution is to patch states.c in the olwm source.  You have to change
the calculation of cli->focusMode around line 730.  The problem also
occurs with at least one version of xlife (that is where I first
discovered it).  A gross hack that would fix this would be to just always
act as if cli->wmHints->input were always set to true.

You can get the olwm source from xview.ucdavis.edu (it is in the XView 2.0
source there).

Note that mwm explicitly ignores the input hint (there are comments to
that effect in the source code. If you have Motif 1.1 sources around look
at line 832 of WmWinInfo.c in motif/clients/mwm.

        Mark C. Henderson, Computer Research Laboratory, Tektronix, Inc.
INTERNET: markh at crl.labs.tek.com  (alternate: mchenderson at attmail.com)