Slow kermit file transfers from Suns?

cfisun!rich at harvard.harvard.edu cfisun!rich at harvard.harvard.edu
Fri Jan 11 16:38:26 AEST 1991

I have used kermit for some time, and have noticed that the effective
throughput during file transfers is unusually slow.  For example, I just
transferred a 90k file from our Sun 3/180 running SunOS 4.0.3 (C-Kermit
4D(061) 8/86) to my 486 running DOS 3.3 (MSKERMIT 2.31) over a 9600 baud
V.32 modem connection, and got only 278 characters per second (90K in
5:23).  I know that uucp will run around 800 chars/second.  What gives?
Is it the 94-char packet size kermit uses?  My Sun kermit won't allow
anything larger - is there a later version that allows large packets or
more efficient protocols?  Where can I get those versions?

Please reply via email, since I don't get in to read the news as often as
I'd like.  Thanks for any info you can provide.

Rich Baughman		  rich at cfi.com OR ima!cfisun!rich
Price Waterhouse          Waltham, MA  617-899-6500