Xview fonts & non-Sun X servers

Eric Hanchrow yamada-sun!eric at cs.utexas.edu
Thu Jan 10 10:38:13 AEST 1991

I have noticed that it is difficult, if not impossible, to run many XView
applications and display them on X servers which are not Suns.  For
example, running $OPENWINHOME/bin/xview/clock with my DISPLAY set to a
DecStation 2100 (Ultirx 4.0), I get the following error messages:

XView warning: Cannot load font '-b&h-lucida-medium-r-normal-sans-*-120-*-*-*-*-*-*' (Font package)
XView warning: Loading default font 'fixed' instead (Font package)
XView warning: Cannot load font '-b&h-lucida-medium-r-normal-sans-*-100-*-*-*-*-*-*' (Font package)
XView warning: Cannot load font '-sun-open look cursor-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*' (Font package)
XView warning: Unable to find OPEN LOOK cursor font (Cursor package)
XView warning: invalid object (not a pointer), xv_get
X Error:  BadFont
  Request Major code 94 ()
  Request Minor code 0
  ResourceID 0x0
  Error Serial #43
  Current Serial #74

We are porting our SunView programs to XView, and while they display just
fine on the Sun, they die with error messages similar to the above when we
try to display them on the DecStation, or an X terminal.  I don't know for
sure why these programs are dying, but it looks as if they can't get some
fonts from the X server, and so they simply terminate.

Do you know of somebody who could help us figure out how to ensure that
our programs can run on any X server, whether or not that server is a Sun?

Eric Hanchrow		sun.com!nosun!yamada-sun!eric