Xview fonts & non-Sun X servers

David Dawes dawes at suphys.physics.su.oz.au
Fri Jan 11 23:43:41 AEST 1991

In article <1145 at brchh104.bnr.ca> yamada-sun!eric at cs.utexas.edu (Eric Hanchrow) writes:
>I have noticed that it is difficult, if not impossible, to run many XView
>applications and display them on X servers which are not Suns.  For
>example, running $OPENWINHOME/bin/xview/clock with my DISPLAY set to a
>DecStation 2100 (Ultirx 4.0), I get the following error messages:
>
>XView warning: Cannot load font '-b&h-lucida-medium-r-normal-sans-*-120-*-*-*-*-*-*' (Font package)

[ other error messages deleted]

I have been trying to display the standard Xview applications on a non-Sun
X server, and have been having a few problems.  The X server I'm using is
a VaxStation 3100 (Ultrix 3.?, running X11r4 compiled from MIT's source).
I start X on the VaxStation, rlogin to a Sun, setenv DISPLAY to point to
the vaxstation, then start olwm.  This starts OK.  When I start up some of
the Xview tools using the olwm menus, I find that all produce the
following warning message (paraphrased):

Xview warning: Cannot set default modifier mapping (server)

I assume this means there is a problem setting up keyboard mapping on the
vaxstation X server.  Most of the tools run OK despite this, but both
textedit and filemgr cause the X server to crash when they are started.

I've tried all of the other tools, and they seem to be OK.  The only other
warning I've had was related to not being able to find Helvetica font when
starting printtool.  I can start the clock without the warnings described
by Eric though.

To see if the problem was related to using the standard MIT X11r4 server,
I tried using a Sun running the standard MIT server.  All the Xview tools
then ran perfectly without any warnings.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has had any success getting
Xview applications running on non-Sun X servers.

 David Dawes (dawes at suphys.physics.su.oz.au) DoD#210   | Phone: +612 692 2639
 School of Physics, University of Sydney, Australia    | Fax:   +612 660 2903