X11R4, O/W2, and Motif - more answers

Mike Anderson mea at sparta.com
Wed Jan 16 04:00:39 AEST 1991

In my last message, I gave instructions for getting X11R4 and Sun's
OpenWindows V2 coexisting under SunOS 4.1.1 (Sunspots digest v10n7).
There was a follow up message that added a tweek to those procedures that
I haven't seen in the digests yet, but it should appear soon.

This message is a followup to those two to let you know that Motif can
also be run under SunOS 4.1.1 with the following mods.

1) Go into your Motif config directory and edit the Imake.tmpl and make
   sure that the "UsrLibDir" entry is $(DESTDIR)/usr/lib/X11 (i.e., add the
   X11R4 destination library to the Motif Imake.tmpl).

2) For Sparcs, make sure that the "-misalign" option has been added to
   your DefaultCCOptions in the "sun.cf" file.  (Mine are: -D_NO_PROTO
   -DNO_REGEX -misalign).  This will preclude Motif barfing with a "bus
   error" when started on the Sparc.  68Ks don't need the -misalign option.

3) Remake Motif. Install via make install and enjoy :-).