Openwindows doesn't work on new install of 4.1.1

Dan Davison davison at menudo.uh.edu
Fri May 24 04:47:00 AEST 1991

I asked:
   >I just installed 4.1.1 on my Sun-3/80, 2x104 MB disk, 8MB memory.  When I
   >try to use Openwindows, I get dumped back to the shell prompt with some
   >strange error messages.  If you've seen something like this or know how to
   >fix it, I would appreciate hearing from you.
   > [...]
   >XNeWS: can't find fonts
   > [...]
   >        ld.so: libX11.so.4: not found
   >Which is true, it's libX11.so.1 in /usr/openwin/lib.

Thanks to all who replied. Strangely, it wasn't the LD_LIBRARY_PATH, or
FONT_PATH: it's a bad message!  The install didn't run a program called
bldfamily, so /usr/openwin/lib/fonts/Family.list was never created. It is
*that* missing file responsible for the "can't find fonts" message.

Many thanks to Josh Siegel at Sun who headed right for that file.  I
*think* that file wasn't made or put on the disk because I didn't install
the full "extra fonts" from the OS distribution.  I suspect the list gets
made somewhere during the installation of the full font set.

Houston/4800 Calhoun/Houston,TX 77054-5500/davison at uh.edu/DAVISON at UHOU