How to best provide X/OpenWindows to clients?

Gary L Dare gld at cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
Wed May 1 09:00:00 AEST 1991

We are running a subnetwork with 3 SS 1's, each containing 2x104 MB of
disk space and thus able to locally handle OpenWindows, and 2 SS-1+'s with
only 1x104 MB on board for which we'll need access to X/OpenWin.

We have two alternatives:

1. Buy a 210 MB internal drive from, say, Box Hill Systems; install it on
   one of the SS-1+ and move its 104 MB drive to the other SS-1+.

2. Put a copy of /usr/openwin on our server (a 3/60) to handle the two
   SS-1+'s.  Access via network.  (This 3/60 could be upgraded to a SS-1+ in
   the near future, but traffic would still be an issue despite speed.)

Since we've only installed OpenWindows with the 4.1.1 release less than a
week ago and have no experience, we have no idea of what the traffic
pattern would be like if we went for solution #2.  If you use either of
the two alternatives we're looking at, could you please share some of your
experiences?  Thanks.

Gary L. Dare				Trumps Split! (p.1) - NY Post,