CRON problem after Daylight time change

Hans Petri winfpet at duticai.tudelft.nl
Fri May 10 23:03:00 AEST 1991

Craig Donath wrote:

> This week we noticed that one of our cron jobs has stopped running. It
> does not appear to have run since late Saturday sometime.
> Cron was running, and in fact, other jobs in the same (root)
> crontab were still working OK.
> Craig Donath

I've had the same experience. I was curious about what would happen with
cron-jobs during the switch from standard-time to daylight saving time.  I
issued a job that executed the date command every 10 minutes and appended
the output to a file. This is what I saw in the file:

Sun Mar 31 00:50:00 MET 1991
Sun Mar 31 01:00:00 MET 1991
Sun Mar 31 01:10:00 MET 1991
Sun Mar 31 01:20:00 MET 1991
Sun Mar 31 01:30:00 MET 1991
Sun Mar 31 01:40:00 MET 1991
Sun Mar 31 01:50:00 MET 1991
Sun Mar 31 11:55:00 MET DST 1991

The last line is appended to the file after I modified the crontab (added
a line and immediately deleted it again) and saved it again, using crontab
-e.  Execution of the crontab-file stopped at he moment we got into
daylight saving time!

J.M. Petri
E-mail: winfpet at duticai.tudelft.nl