Putting images onto videotape

Bruce Allen ballen at convex.csd.uwm.edu
Fri May 10 23:03:00 AEST 1991

I am going to be putting some images (animation of a numerical simulation)
onto videotape.  I have about 3600 frames = 2 minutes of rasterfiles, each
of which is about 1 Mbyte long.

Someone at the university has offered me the loan of a videodisk recorder.
This records 5.25 inch video disks.  Apparently the machine has an RS232
serial port which controls it, and can be told for example "Move to frame
12345 and record it", ie it can do one frame at a time.

Two questions:

(1) Has anyone out there interfaced a video-disk recorder like this?  Did
    it work OK?

(2) I need to generate an NSTC signal, hence I need a scan converter or a
    frame buffer that generates NSTC signals.  Can someone tell me the least
    expensive way to do this?  My hardware is an SS2 with a GX board and 16"
    color monitor.

Please e-mail me directly at ballen at dirac.phys.uwm.edu,
Bruce Allen