Make for multiple architectures in same directory tree

Joe Van Andel vanandel at ncar.ucar.edu
Fri May 10 23:03:00 AEST 1991

I need to restructure some makefiles to allow me to build both Sun3 and
Sun4 (SPARC) objects.  Naturally, I don't want to have to type 'make
clean' everytime I work on this software, so I want to keep both sets of
objects around.  What I'd like is a relatively simple scheme to keep my
objects in subdirectories of the source directory.  E.g.:

	src/lib/foo/
		   abc.c
		   xyz.c
		   sun3/abc.o
                        xyz.o
		   sun4/abc.o
                        xyz.o

I'd prefer not to have to keep parallel source trees, built with links.  I
probably could use 'TFS', but I'd prefer not to, since it gets too
confusing.  I'd be happiest to use Sun's standard 'make', but if "gnumake"
has features that would help me solve this problem,  I'd switch.

Any suggestions?  I'll sumarize any responses.

Thanks much.

	Joseph VanAndel  		Internet:vanandel at ncar.ucar.edu
	NCAR  Mail Stop MAR
	P.O Box 3000		Fax:	 303-497-2044
	Boulder, CO 80307-3000	Voice:	 303-497-2071