Selection_svc? Why does it hang around?

Vincent Fox gt1111a at prism.gatech.edu
Fri May 10 23:03:00 AEST 1991

I'm running Sparc I's under 4.1.1, and I frequently log in and see that
someone else shows up in the 'w', but isn't really logged in. I check the
ps listing and find that there is a selection_svc started by them still
running. This wouldn't bother me except that:

1) My little program to show me who's logged on around the lab is
   inaccurate because of it.
2) Because of this thing hanging around after logoff, automount never gets
   to dismount whatever file system was that person's home directory. Thus
   denying me some of the fault-tolerance that autmount should allow.

Most of the time after exiting SunView this thing seems to hang around.
Is there an easy fix?

Vincent Fox (That's Mr. Bucko to you)|"The bear and Carl lived together in the
Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA             |cave for several years until, one day, the
SR-71: gt1111a at prism.gatech.edu      |true savagery of Nature being unleashed,
Pony Express:...!gatech!prism!gt1111a|Carl killed and ate him."    -Gary Larson