vi file size limit?

Craig Ruff cruff at ncar.ucar.edu
Fri Oct 5 04:03:01 AEST 1990

In article <6126 at plains.NoDak.edu> bfoushe at plains.NoDak.edu (Bill Foushee) writes:
>I'm trying to find out the definitive answer to... Is there a size
>limit for a file that can be edited using vi?

Vi has a limit based on the size of the pointers used to indicate the
start of lines in the temporary file.  The size of the pointers can
be either 16 or 32 bits in size.  The low-order bit is not used as part
of the index.  The index is shifted left by some configurable amount
before being used as the offset in the temporary file.  The basic
(non-VMUNIX version) handles upto 256Kb.  It could be recompiled for
up to 512Kb.  For versions with VMUNIX defined, the limit is based
on available memory and disk space.  Note: for those with source, the
parameters are in ex_temp.h.
Craig Ruff      	NCAR			cruff at ncar.ucar.edu
(303) 497-1211  	P.O. Box 3000
			Boulder, CO  80307