vi file size limit?

Bill Vermillion bill at bilverbilver.uucp
Fri Oct 5 09:50:24 AEST 1990

In article <6126 at plains.NoDak.edu> bfoushe at plains.NoDak.edu (Bill Foushee) writes:
>I'm trying to find out the definitive answer to... Is there a size
>limit for a file that can be edited using vi?

>I'm using an AT&T 3B2/600g with Sys V 3.2.2, with 32M ram, a ulimit
>of 65536, and 21M swap space.

>The largest size file I can edit is about 250K.  The AT&T hotline
>tells me that vi can only handle files less than 200K,

It really depends on how you vi was compiled.  On an 68000 based
system I could get about 200k.  On this system a '386 running Esix.
I can get about 300-400k.  I have 8 megs of real memory and about
20 megs of swap.  I just tested it, and it quite just about 400k
with 9500+ lines from termcap cat'ed upon itself.

I also have a '386 Xenix system with 2 megs of ram and 6 megs of
swap.  I have edited files over 2 megs long on that machine.  I
copied it'x executeable over to here (xenix executeable running on
a Unix platform) and I just tested and got over a 1 meg file with
22000+ lines, before I decided that was a sufficient test to answer

It all depends on the vendor.

                      : bill at bilver.UUCP