RAM disk.

John F. Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Mon Oct 1 23:20:17 AEST 1990

In article <143190 at sun.Eng.Sun.COM> lm at slovax.Sun.COM (Larry McVoy) writes:
>In article <6167 at titcce.cc.titech.ac.jp> mohta at necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp (Masataka Ohta) writes:
>>If you use elaborated and complicated memory disk, it can be only as
>>slow as ordinary disk, but not faster.
>
>Bullsh*t.  Tmpfs is orders of magnitude faster than a disk.

I suspect this was a typo - if tmpfs can only be as slow, and not
any faster, then it must be the same speed.

As for 5MB/sec transfer limitations - does the SS1 have a DMA
setup that can handle memory to memory transfers?  I would hope
that the memory subsystem can handle more than 5MB/sec ...
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
"SCCS, the source motel!  Programs check in and never check out!"
		-- Ken Thompson