Coherent *nix (was Concurrent UNIX)

Tom Frauenhofer tvf at cci632.UUCP
Wed Oct 31 07:10:40 AEST 1990

In article <1830 at overlf.UUCP> emanuele at overlf.UUCP (Mark A. Emanuele) writes:
>In article <41491 at cci632.UUCP>, tvf at cci632.UUCP (Tom Frauenhofer) writes:
...on a discussion of UNIX OS's on 80x86 machines allowing CTL-ALT-DEL to
   reboot the system
>> I could do this under Microport V/AT (in fact, the friendly folks at
>> Microport actually wrote in their documentation that that was the preferred
>                                                                    ^^^^^^^^^
>> way to do a shutdown).
>
>I can't see how this could possibly be a PREFERRED method to do this.

Nonetheless, that's what their book said, along with much gab about how good
their file hardening was.  Note that I didn't offer editorial comment on
whether that being the PREFERRED way was good or not (for the record I DON'T
think it should be preferred), but given my scenario (pretty much a
single-user system 99% of the time), and given half a dozen sync's, it
seemed to be adequate (I never lost a file).

On a serious multi-user system it wouldn't be so hot, but on most serious
multi-user systems that I'm familiar with, they also have single
switches/buttons that could bring down the system Real Fast (including
hardware resets on 80x86 machines).

Is there a moral?  Is Elmer Fudd a dolt?  No, but there is a moral: if you
want a system to be foolproof, you have a rich fantasy life that I'd like to
share (god, how Alt.Personals of me! :-) ).
--
Thomas V. Frauenhofer, WA2YYW, tvf at cci.com   | Little cockroach on the wall,
{uupsi,ccicpg}!cci632!tvf at uunet.uu.net       | Don't you have no friends at all?