Exact Specifications for (LPR/LPC/LPD/LPQ/LPRM) (Need Help ASAP)

matt robinson yakker at ucrmath.ucr.edu
Sat Oct 13 21:54:35 AEST 1990

> I need to obtain the exact specifications for the lpd/lpq/lpr/lpc programs,
> for multiple printers with a single queue that works through a filter in
> lpr.  If anyone has any type of information along these lines, or can give
> any documentation (Like an RFC, for instance), please let me know.  ...

Thank you to everyone who responded to my question.  My goal was to find
out how to directly talk to the LPD program, and from what RFC 1179 told
me and what the source code from uunet.uu.net told me, I was able to write
a program that is what I call MLPD, or Multiple Line Printer Daemon.
It works by a slight modification to the queueing/printing setup, and
requires no installation of a new package, no filters, no sockets, nothing
above what comes with either 4.3BSD or System V, and even runs smoothly.
It's just a single daemon program that monitors the printers more accurately
for a better selection of printer files, using the existing lpd program
to get information from.

If anyone wanted to know what I did, or would like to see this program in
its finished state (Another 2 weeks...I have to take care of school first),
please let me know.
Matt D. Robinson                                      yakker at ucrmath.ucr.edu
UC Riverside, Systems Programming Group               ..!ucsd!ucrmath!yakker