Dumping to an exabyte tape drive

Derick Linegar linegar at bcars85.bnr.ca
Sun Sep 2 15:11:53 AEST 1990

fpb at schlitz.ittc.wec.com (Frank P. Bresz) writes:

>In article <1990Aug29.143657.20588 at siesoft.co.uk> duncan at siesoft.co.uk (Duncan McEwan) writes:

>>I'm not sure that this is the most appropriate group for this query, but I
>>guess it will reach most of the people who will be able to answer it.

> [....]

>On A Sun I use :

>dump 0ufsd /dev/nrst2 6000 54000 /dev/id000a

>However I just got done dumping eleven partitions onto a single tape with
>the following results:

[....]

This was discussed at some lenght in comp.sys.sun a while back, and to
summarize, the options I use for dump to make maximum use of a exabyte
tape drive is:

	/usr/etc/dump 0ucbsdf 56 5190 4100000 /dev/whatever file-system

Now it doesn't use the all the 2.3 Gigabyte of space, but it is close
enough for me not to worry about that.

				-derick-
--
#include <disclaimer.h>
Derick Linegar,     Internet Systems 4P27,              Bell-Northern Research