Dumping to an exabyte tape drive

James H Tibbs jht at suned1.nswses.navy.mil
Sun Sep 2 07:38:12 AEST 1990

  I used these arguments for an Exabyte on a Sun3 running 4.0.3 with the
standard
Sun drivers being used;

     dump 0ubsdf 64 12000 43000 /dev/rst1 "file-system"

  With these args about 1.9GB will fit on a tape before "write errors"
are encountered. This 1.9GB figure matches what dump "thinks" it can
fit
on a tape with the given args. According to the vendor who sold our
unit,
the blocking, size, and density parameters originated from Sun.
  Is anyone else out there using an Exabyte with Sun drivers which can
recognize the end of the tape?
  The above parameters have proved reliable as I have rebuilt a number
of
trashed disks/file systems ( :-( ) backed up on Exabytes.
--
    Jim Tibbs, System Administrator; UNIX/VMS/Networking
    Dept. of the Navy (NSWSES), Port Hueneme CA. 93043, Code 4A05