Tracking ANONYMOUS FTP

Jerry M. Carlin jmc at PacBell.COM
Wed Sep 12 01:11:32 AEST 1990

In article <913 at dg.dg.com> bkahn at dg-rtp.dg.com (Bruce Kahn) writes:
>  How are anonymous FTP logins tracked??   I know that some systems want you
>to send your ID as the password but Ive looked all over documentation and
>my system but cant seem to find any log of this information.

You can track them by setting debug in inetd.conf for ftpd (on the Sun
in.ftpd -dl) and by setting /etc/syslog.conf to log daemon.debug. This will
log EVERYTHING.

BE CAREFUL as in some versions all passwords will be logged. Best advice
is to use a foreign machine (LOGHOST) and make sure permissions are 600.
Jerry M. Carlin	(415) 823-2441 jmc at srv.pacbell.com
To dream the impossible dream. To fight the unbeatable foe.