Tracking ANONYMOUS FTP

Edward Vielmetti emv at math.lsa.umich.edu
Tue Sep 11 10:53:46 AEST 1990

In article <913 at dg.dg.com> bkahn at dg-rtp.dg.com (Bruce Kahn) writes:

     How are anonymous FTP logins tracked??   I know that some systems want you
   to send your ID as the password but Ive looked all over documentation and
   my system but cant seem to find any log of this information.

Stock plain old vanilla BSD ftpd doesn't do anything special to log
anonymous ftp stuff.

Various people have modified their ftpd's to log various things, provide
access to things like message-of-the-day files, control maximum number
of incoming users on a per-network basis, etc.

A good bet would be to FTP to a big archive site and get the version
of ftpd that they use.  If someone has infinite patience they could
try to kitbash together all of the various strains out there and identify
the useful features.

(No, I'm not volunteering.)

--Ed

Edward Vielmetti, U of Michigan math dept <emv at math.lsa.umich.edu>