Logging a User Off

Pete Holsberg pjh at mccc.uucp
Sat Sep 15 10:17:05 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep11.201345.18277 at mp.cs.niu.edu> rickert at mp.cs.niu.edu (Neil Rickert) writes:
=In article <1990Sep11.173008.274 at mccc.uucp> pjh at mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:
=>For reasons that are beyond the scope of this question, all new logins
=>on one of my systems (3B2.400 SVR3.1) get no initial password.  I've
=>written a little script that I put into /etc/profile.  It examines the
=
= The way I handle new accounts is as follows:
=
=  The initial shell is the restricted shell.  (Actually the restricted
=kshell, or to be more precise a local front end which just execs to the
=restricted kshell.

	My Korn Shell (from Aspen) doesn't mention a restricted ksh.

=  /etc/profile detects the restricted shell (the $SHELL variable), and
=sets a path with a very minimal set of commands.  In this case 'passwd'
=is a shell script which invokes the real passwd command, and then check
=for a changed password.
=
=  If the password is changed, and if there is not non-empty file named
=SUSPEND in the users home directory, then the shell script invokes
='chsh' to provide a decent shell, copies standard startup files to the
=home directory if they are not present, and recommends that the user
=logout then login again.

Not a bad idea.  However, I got many suggestions on logging people off
and one or two about just setting up a loop whereby the user was forced
to enter a password, no matter what.  I did the former on the dial-up
machine and the latter on the "terminal" one.

My thanks to all who responded.

Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math