Logging a User Off

co-op cep at cci632.UUCP
Fri Sep 14 02:32:34 AEST 1990

In article <1220 at tardis.Tymnet.COM> jms at tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) writes:

>I have seen that "stty 0" works on BSD systems, does it work on AT&T?

Hehe...under v7 (back when I was a little irresponsible terror) I used to
stty 0 > /dev/ttyxx to hang up on people I didn't like.  (Don't worry, I
have matured; now it's my turn to frown upon such activities).

The problem is what it does if you're rlogin'ed or telnetted in -- at least
under one of the RIT machines I use, the baud rate has no effect and so
stty 0 wouldn't do anything.

You're better off with kill -1 $$  or  kill -1 0.

Chris/WZ2B