Logging a User Off

Paul S. Sawyer paul at unhtel.uucp
Sat Sep 15 09:17:07 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep11.173008.274 at mccc.uucp> pjh at mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>For reasons that are beyond the scope of this question, all new logins
>on one of my systems (3B2.400 SVR3.1) get no initial password.  I've
>written a little script that I put into /etc/profile.  It examines the
>password field of /etc/passwd for the user logging in and runs the
>passwd program if the password field is empty.
>
>However, I would like to be able to terminate the login process if that
>user fails to select a password.  I though I would examine the return
>code of the passwd command and then exit if it's not 0.  BUT, simply
>executing "exit" doesn't abort the login; it aborts /etc/profile!  What
>can I execute to terminate the login of a user who fails to select a
>valid password?

If you set the password field to ',..' (comma-dot-dot) login should make
the user set the password before continuing.  This sounds like what you
want, unless I'm missing something.

Good luck.
--
Paul S. Sawyer              uunet!unh!unhtel!paul     paul at unhtel.UUCP
UNH Telecommunications        attmail!psawyer       p_sawyer at UNHH.BITNET