help removing a file

Bruce M. Himebaugh bruce at bmhalh.UUCP
Fri Sep 7 14:52:11 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep5.184323.5877 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> gupta at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Rohit Gupta) writes:
>harmon at function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Jim Harmon) writes:
>
>>says it's zhangNevai.tex. I've tried putting a back slash in front of the ?
>>and quoting the whole name. I even tried doing `rm -i *` and it matches
>>zhangNevai.tex but says there's No such file or directory.
>
>Try using its inode to remove it. First do an 'ls -i' to determine its inode
>number. Lets say that this returns 33007. Next enter the following:
>
>	 find . -inum 33007 -exec rm {} \;
>
>That should remove it.

I don't think this will work.  The reason being, is that the underlying problem
is that the file name has a NULL embedded in it.  The way to remove would be
the following:

	1. Find the inode, using 'ls -i'.

	2. Remove the file by clearing the inode (not removing the file).  On
	   my system the command is 'clri'.

I have had this same problem many times and this was the only way to resolve
it.

Bruce
--
Bruce M. Himebaugh                                          Voice: 216-484-3528
   PATHS: uunet!{ncoast,aablue}!fmsystm!bmhalh!bruce