Questions about UNIX viruses

Dave Gilmour dag at esleng.ocunix.on.ca
Tue Apr 2 06:31:28 AEST 1991

Our company is currently under contract to provide some software to a customer
that is worried that, because our system is connected to the USENET, it could
potentially become infected with a virus and subsequently transmit that virus
to their machine via the delivered software.

Given this, I basically have three questions:

1)	Are viruses a problem on UNIX machines that are connected to the
	net?  We do not accept binary UNIX sources on our machine, so I
	presume that trojans are more likely to be a problem than viruses.

2)	If viruses are out there ready to infect my UNIX machine, is there
	any software that I can run to detect/remove them from my machine?

3)	What steps should I take in order to "reduce the risk" |-)

Any help in the matter will be greatly appreciated. As always, if there is
sufficient interest I will summarize to the net.

Thanks.

System Info : ISC2.2 System V R3.2, Everex Step 386/33

David A. Gilmour            |   dag at esleng.ocunix.on.ca
Excalibur Systems Limited   |   uunet!mitel!cunews!micor!esleng!dag
Kanata, Ontario, Canada     |
David A. Gilmour            |   dag at esleng.ocunix.on.ca